Friday 4 January 2013

Looking through windows

Walking down
Dark street
Smiling at anyone
We meet

Gazing through 
Garden gates
Wondering what's
Beneath slates

Finding curtains
Not drawn
Seeing people
Looking forlorn

Glimpsing sadness
Inside
Wishing they
Would go hide

Close the blinds
Hide away
Don't let us see
Your pain today

Let us walk
Down this street
Smile to all
People we meet

We don't want
We don't need
To see you
To take heed

Go away
Hide away
Let us think it's
A good day

Xxxxxx

Linked up at real toads

9 comments:

Janine Bollée said...

Yes, it seems a time for a 'head in the sand' attitude. Well devised.
I couldn't decide between looking out and looking in, so I passed it by.

my heart's love songs said...

i'm afraid i would side with the inhabitants' right to have their curtains open as i really dislike having people going by looking into my apartment. {smile}

Mary said...

I think sometimes one sees in others what one feels oneself. Inside homes passed by or on the street... I would hope there is some happiness showing from people's lives too.

Susan said...

You sure caught that desire not to beconnected to the misery and pain--and very cleverly too. It enters as a surprise, and suddenly the reader is walking with her own guilty desire. Well done!

Laurie Kolp said...

Interesting... but I agree. What we focus on grows, and it would be so much better to focus on happiness.

Susie Clevenger said...

There are times we must be renewed by not focusing on all that is wrong. Let us seek joy.

Peggy said...

I felt like I was on this walk with you and can understand the conflict of wanting to feel it is a nice day for all. I think we all have that feeling at times.

Mystic_Mom said...

Very well done!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

"Close the blinds, hide away" - that stanza really popped out at me. Makes me remember the song "On the Sunny Side of the Street" from my childhood.